Wolf Visit Center
The Wolf Visit Center is a property of CFS (State Forestry) located in Popoli (PE) within the former Experimental Company of Monte Corvo (now Regional Office for Biodiversity). Inserted in Majella National Park, this building is located in a very picturesque landscape dominated by Morrone mountain chain. Guided tours and educational activities of Wolf Visit Center are undertaken by qualified staff members of C.E.A. IL BOSSO (Environmental Education Centre of Regional Interest pursuant to LR 122/99).
Why a wolf center?
In the early ‘80s in Italy, the wolf (Canis lupus) was in great danger of extinction and just over 100 units were calculated all over the country. As a consequence of this plight, the project of a wolf gene bank was founded, whose main goal was to ensure the maintenance of a group of individuals to be released in case of an unexpected collapse of wild population.
Over the years, thanks to an increase in number of wild wolf groups, the specific targets of these areas have changed. Currently, their function is to care for and accommodate injured wild animals, carry out scientific research, create a “culture” based on a proper knowledge of wolves. These reasons have prompted the State Forestry at preserving wildlife wolf areas and creating a Wolf Visit Centre.
How long does the visit last?
The visit lasts 2.30 hours during which it is possible to see:
- The Wolf Visit Centre Museum composed of three rooms which hold an educational exhibition on wolf’s biology and ecology as well as its difficult relationship with human beings, and a room where it is possible to hear animal howlings.
- The educational tour “From Preys to Predators”. Along this tour, it is possible to observe: – Hoofed animals (deers, fallow deers, wild boars, mouflons, roes …..) – Predatory birds (eagles, owls, kestrels, buzzards ….) – Wolves.
Welcome and Service
In the greens around the building, it is possible to enjoy a picnic area with trees including tables and benches, a drinking water fountain and a big parking area for cars and buses.
The Visit Center is equipped with a toilet.
The Visit Center is wheelchair accessible: the wolf wildlife area can be visited by car for motor impaired people (notified in advance and on prior authorization).
Fees for tourists:
- Adults – 9 euro (one free every 10 paying adults)
- Children between 3 and 10 years old – 6 euro
- Children under 3 years old – free
Fees for schools or big groups (minimum 20 people)
- Students or children – 5 euro
- Adults – 7 euro
- Teachers – Free
Departure times of guided tours
Reservations are required by using either the website contact form, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone number at – 085 9808009.
The center will be open on Sundays and public holidays from April 1st to June 30th and from September 15th to October 31st.
The center will be open all days from July 1st to September 15th.
During the rest of the year, visits may be done on reservation only and for a minimum of 10 paying adults.
We kindly remind our visitors that the standard guided tours are in Italian; English literature is available for non-Italian speakers
How to get there:
- From A25 Roma-Pescara exit Bussi – Popoli
- Head towards Popoli
- Once in Popoli head towards Sulmona
- Remaining on the main road outside the village, just after a sharp bend, take the first road on the left and then follow the signs to Wolf Visit Center, Azienda Pilota “Monte Corvo”